The Stiperstones & Corndon Hill
Long Mynd Mountain Bike Route Guide
The Stiperstones, Shorpshire
(For Experienced Riders)
OS Landranger 126 & 137
Route Text Download:
The Stiperstones & Corndon Hill
GPX and KML
(available via the full MapMyRide page for this route, on the right hand side of the page)
This mountain bike route of 19.6 miles starts in Snailbeach, south west of Shrewsbury. The route traverses the ridges of Stapeley Hill and the Stiperstones and circles Corndon hill at the halfway point. Farm land joins these sections and, whilst not the most technical riding, it's still an enjoyable old school XC ride with fantastic views. Although it can be heavy going in the wet it is still rideable.
1. Start from the car park on the lane through Snailbeach (GR373023). Leave the car park and turn right to follow the lane through the houses. The lane soon descends to a tight right hand bend before climbing to a left hand bend. Directly after the house on the outside of the bend take the track on the right that descends parallel to the road. Go straight on at the entrance to the farm and descend a short way to a gate on the right at the bottom (GR367014).
2. Turn right through the gate, cross the farmyard, then go through the next gate. Follow the muddy double track along the right hand side of the field to the next gate. After the gate follow the track straight on where it becomes singletrack that descends to a stream crossing at the bottom of a grassy climb, between two rows of trees. Climb the trail through the trees then bear right near the top to go through a gate at the next farm (GR361014). Ride over the broken concrete and turn left to continue climbing up another wide grassy track. At the top go through a gate into a field and turn immediately right to follow the fence line along the flat. At the far corner go through a small gate onto the grassy bridleway between two fences. After a couple more gates descend straight ahead on a concrete track, which bears right just after a cattle grid and comes out at the A488 on the left (GR350017).
3. Turn left and climb the road through a number of bends to Hope. In Hope follow the main road left past a road on the right and then a church. On the far side of the village the road turns slightly right and comes to a long straight. At the start of the straight take the track on the right immediately after the last house, it looks like the driveway of the house (GR339009).
4. Follow the track right, around the back of the house and descend to a stream. Cross the stream, it can be very muddy here, and climb the track off to the right. The climb is usually be firm and quite rideable. The track bears to the left and comes to some derelict buildings. It can be muddy here as well. Turn left here and follow the track up through the bushes. Continue straight on as the track flattens to climb through some fields. Go through a gate at the far side of the fields, by the farm, and turn right up the gravel road (GR334006). Climb straight on to where the track ends at a junction with a lane (GR331006).
5. Turn left and ride a short way to the next junction. At this three way junction turn right up a short, steep climb to a crossroad junction at the top (GR329007). Turn left and descend to the next crossroad. Go straight on and descend to another junction. Continue straight on to a dirt track that climbs through the woods. At the junction in the woods take the muddy double track ahead and right, signed as a bridleway. At the top of the woods follow the trail left to a gate (GR315996).
6. Once through the gate follow the grassy track straight ahead along the ridge and take in the wonderful views across Powys on the right. At the marked split in the track jink to the left and pick up the next sign a short distance later to continue straight ahead along the ridge. Follow the bridleway signs in the direction of the saddle between the next set of hills ahead. After the stone circle descend straight on through the car park to a road (GR302977).
7. Go straight on along road then at the next junction, where the road turns left, climb straight on up the broken trail. At the junction at the top of the trail go straight on over the crest and descend to a gate (GR296962). Directly after the gate turn left, following a vague grassy double track off the main track, into the top left hand corner of a field, and descend across the field towards the gap in the trees in the bottom right hand corner. In the next field continue straight on and descend across the grass to the stream hidden in the trees at the bottom (GR299961).
8. Go through the gate, also hidden by the trees, and cross the stream before pushing up the short, steep and muddy bank. Where the push flattens to be rideable again follow a thin ribbon of trail off to the right through a field. This heads towards the fence line on the right and soon joins a well defined track just above a farm. Descend to the farm then go through a gate and turn left to the small gate just above the farm buildings (GR301959). Go through the gate and descend straight ahead along the track, keeping to the fence line on the right. The track ends with a boggy but rideable section that comes to a wide and muddy farm track (GR304956). Turn left and ride a short way to the farm. At the farm go through the gate leading into the yard then continue straight on along the tarmac track leading to a junction with a lane at the other end (GR308953).
9. Turn left and follow the lane. At the junction at the end turn left. Climb over the crest then descend through a right then left hand bend before the lane climbs right to a junction (GR319961). Take the lane on the right and descend towards the trees. In the trees follow the lane sharply left then right for a short, sharp climb to a junction with the A488 (GR324961).
10. Turn right and descend the main road to a junction with the next road on the left, just before it crosses a stream. turn left and follow the lane to a junction at the crest of a short climb (GR333960). Turn left and climb the lane past a farm then at the next junction go up the double track on the left, where the lane bears off to the right (GR332963). Climb through a gate and on to the junction just after. Turn right and climb a steep and rocky track. As the obvious trail bears right continue directly ahead and follow the thin track to climb the grass to a gate. go through the gate and continue straight on across the grass. The trail here is very vague but there are couple of marker posts. Ride just to the left of the summit then pick up a double track that descends to a junction (GR334975).
11. At the junction bear left through the gate ahead and ride along the double track keeping the trees on the right. The trail soon becomes vague but keep to the ridge, don’t drop off to the right. At the end of the hill negotiate the steep loose section that skirts the right hand side of a bomb hole into the bushes. After squeezing through the bushes continue descending straight ahead to the small, gated bridge that crosses a stream (GR337979).
12. On the other side of the bridge follow a vague trail right then left through the field to reach a good track at the bridleway marker post. Turn right and follow the double track a very short way to the top of descent that ends at a gate. Don’t descend to the gate, turn left and follow another vague trail. This runs along the bottom of the ridge line on the left, through aq lumpy field, to a gate. After the gate follow the fence line on the right to a small, gated bridge in the far right hand corner of the field (GR343984).
13. Go across the small wooden bridge then turn left and follow the fence line through the next field. At the end of the field go through a gate on the right to cross a farm track. On the opposite side of the track go through the small gate to enter another field. Turn left in this field and follow the fence line on the left to the next gate. Go through the gate into another field and bear slightly right for a short climb, still following the fence on the left. Go through another gate at the top of the climb then, at the end of the trees on the left, turn left through a gate and follow the fence line on the left to a junction at a road (GR349988).
14. Go straight across the road and follow the gravel track as it bears slightly right and finishes at another lane (GR354993). Turn left and follow the road for a short distance before turning rightfor a gentle climb up a wide dirt track. Stay on the main trail and go straight on past the two wide tracks climbing off to the left. Continue straight on past a track that comes in from the right just before a stand of trees on the right (GR356986). At the following junction, with a gated track that climbs steeply off to the left take double track ahead. Stay on this double track for a gentle climb all the way to the end, at a junction with a hairpin on a lane (GR359981). Turn left and climb the lane to the next junction. Turn left and follow the sign for the car park. Take the next left in to the car park (GR369976).
15. At the start of the car park go through the gate on the left by the information board. Climb the wide grassy, rutted track towards Cranberry Rock on the ridgeline. Bear right to a junction just by Cranberry Rock and turn right (GR367982). Follow this trail along the line of the hill. It then bears left to follow a fence on the right before dropping slightly down hill for a really nice section of rocky trail. Continue straight ahead on this track until it ends at a junction with a number of tracks, the two most obvious of which are on the left (GR374996). Take the track ahead and left and climb to the ridge. At the junction top of the hill turn right and follow the wide track to climb gently along the ridge (GR373999).
16. The trail soon starts a fast hardpack descent of about 2/3 mile. The start of this fast descent is quite popular with walkers, so please be careful. Continue following the track ahead, past a couple of tracks on the left, then when the trail flattens off bear right to a junction with a gate ahead and a track on the left (GR376009). Turn left down the muddy double track and descend through two gates into the corner of a field. Bear slightly right to follow the ruts through the field to a gate in the trees line opposite. Go through the trees and continue descending through the next field on the rutted double track. Once the track improves and the fences close in on either side, stay by the fence on the left and descend the main track through a number of bends, generally bearing left, past a couple of tracks on the right. At the bottom, where the rocky double track finishes at a lane, go straight ahead to the gate in the bottom of the dip (GR380021).
17. After the gate climb a short way to a junction. Turn right then at the junction with a track straight on, follow the lane to the left for a fast descent. After passing a marked footpath on the left follow the lane right as it reaches the edge of Snailbeach and the old lead mine on the left (GR375021). Keep to the lane and descend through a couple of bends to a junction at the bottom. Go straight across the road to and return to the car park to complete the ride.