Cilcain and Moel Famau Forest
North Wales Mountain Bike Route Guide
The Clwydian Range, North Wales
(Basic MTB Skills Required)
OS Explorer 265
Route Text Download:
Cilcain and Moel Famau Forest
GPX and KML
(available via the full MapMyRide page for this route, on the right hand side of the page)
Cilcain and Moel Famau Forest Route
This mountain bike ride of 11.2 miles starts from the view point car park on the lanes above Cilcain, a village situated just below the Clwydian Range in North Wales. The route is a good mixture of singletrack, fire roads and double track. Some of the climbs might get you sweating but it finishes with a two mile descent that will put a big smile on your face.
1. Follow the lane left from the view point car park (GR170652). Continue down the lane as it descends through a few bends and past some houses until it ends at a T-junction (GR174652). Turn right and descend the lane into Cilcain. Go straight on at the junction by the church. At the crossroad junction directly after the White Horse pub turn right (GR177652). Descend the lane out of the village then on a shallow right hand bend at the trees, just before a cottage on the left, turn left at the junction with a singletrack trail signed as a bridleway (GR177649). Descend the singletrack to a stream crossing. Use the bridge or ford to cross the stream then climb the loose rocky trail to where it ends at a junction with a lane (GR179647).
2. Turn left and follow the lane, which soon climbs through a right hand bend. At the top continue straight ahead along the lane for a while. Eventually the lane kicks up for a short distance to climb past a house at the top. After the lane flattens off go past a junction with a gravel double track drive on the right. The lane then gently descends to the next junction, with a lane on the right, a short distance before a house on the left (GR186637). Turn right and climb the steep tarmac past the dead end sign. Continue straight on past a junction with a farm track on the right, where the lane flattens off significantly, before coming to a forked junction by a farm on the left a little while later (GR179629).
3. Go straight on along the rutted double track to a gate. Go through the gate and descend to a ford. Once over the stream bear left up a short, loose climb. At the top descend the double track through a gate and on to a junction with a track on the right. Go straight on down the grassy, rutted track that follows the line of trees on the left. Continue straight on through a gate then stream before going across the muddy grass to a gate leading into Moel Famau forest (GR174625).
4. After the gate turn left and climb the fire track. At the top follow the track right and descend to a junction (GR176621). Turn left and climb the track that soon bears right around the side of the hill. Go past all the tracks on the left to the second junction with a track on the right, at the crest of the climb (GR178616).
5. Turn right and climb the fire road that soon bears left and comes to a junction. Go straight on and follow the track along the contours of the eastern slope of Moel Famau. Keep to the main trail as it climbs and descends through a number of bends. The fire track finishes with a descent where, halfway down, it turns into a rocky singletrack trail with bushes on either side. At the bottom bear left through the puddle (unless it’s been very dry) and climb a short distance to a gate (GR169633).
6. After the gate turn left and climb towards the trees on the grassy trail by the drystone wall. Go through the gate at the top and follow the boggy section of trail by the trees, on the left. The trail starts becoming firmer before coming to a crossroad junction (GR163633). Go straight on along the singletrack through the heather. This track soon bears left up a short, steep climb. After the crest descend the singeltrack that eventually descends through a gap in the wall, then continue straight on along the grassy, muddy and rocky track to a junction (GR156630).
7. Take the track on the left and go through a short rocky and muddy section. Directly after, just before the track ahead starts climbing steeply to the ridge, turn square right and follow the track that runs parallel to the ridge. Follow this track to the next junction with a concessional track on the right that goes over a low jumble of rocks (GR153630).
8. Turn right over the rocks then at the next junction immediately after turn left. Follow the track through the heather as it contours around the hill. After a while the track goes down a fast, straight and steep descent before it kicks up slightly and comes to a vague forked junction directly after going through a gap in a low, broken drystone wall (GR147640). Take the right hand track and descend to a wide grassy junction with a rocky double track (GR146642). Turn right for a long descent on double track that finishes at a lane, by a farm on the right. Continue straight on along the lane, then at the next junction stay on the lane and bear right up a gentle climb. The lane comes to a crossroad junction soon after (GR165653). Turn right and follow the lane down a very gentle descent back to the view point car park on the left to complete the ride.