Gyrn Moelfre - Medium
North Wales Mountain Bike Route Guide
This mountain bike route of 17.7 miles travels through the hills on the south side of the Ceiriog Valley, in North Wales. This ride is on a mixture of trails that include loose rocks, muddy ruts, slate bedrock and grassy fields, with a bit of tarmac to link it up. It’s a great ride with lots to keep you concentrating on the trail ahead but don’t forget to look up once in a while, as the views are stunning.
1. Start from the car park at the Community Centre in Glyn Ceiriog (GR204379).Turn right out of the car park and follow the main road to the roundabout in the centre of the village. Take the first exit to turn left. A short distance later follow the road right then left across a bridge to the junction directly after (GR202376).Turn right and climb the lane ahead through the trees, ignoring the minor tracks on either side. After quite some time the lane turns left and steepens before leaving the cover of the trees and passing a house on the left. At the junction directly after the house follow the lane right and continue climbing all the way to a three way junction at the top of the hill (GR205354).
2. Go straight on and follow the lane across the top of the hill. The lane soon starts descending then comes to a junction in a dip with a gated track on the right, where the lane turns left (GR211344). Turn right onto the gravel track and go through the gate then at the junction directly after go straight on up a short, steep climb to the top of Pen y Gwely. Follow the track between the fences to where it ends at a gate. Go through the gate then follow the deep ruts straight on through the field to a gated track in the opposite corner (GR204338).
3. Turn right through the gate then follow the double track through a left hand bend to the next gate. Go through this gate and the next couple and follow the double track in the direction of the Ceiriog Valley below on the right. The track then descends through a gate and between the gorse to a junction with a track on the left (GR196333). Go straight on over the slate bedrock then follow the track 90deg right and descend to a gate at a farm. Go straight on through this gate and the next to a three way lane junction (GR190335).
4. Turn left and climb the lane to a junction at the top of the hill (GR183329). Turn left, then at the junction directly after, turn right. Follow this lane for a while, which after going through a dip, climbs to a crossroad junction with gated tracks on either side (GR171327).
5. Go through the gate on the left and climb the steep rutted trail to a junction near the top. Go straight on and climb to a gate at the top of the hill. After this gate and descend the big, muddy ruts. While it can be quite wet and muddy here it’s usually rideable even in the worst conditions. After the next gate the track eventually comes to a flat open section, follow the ruts 90deg right and drop into the deep gully on the right (GR174314).
6. Descend down the left hand side of the gully on the steep gravel double track. Go through the gate at the bottom and bear right through the stream crossing. If it’s been wet the whole area can be covered in water. After the stream go through the next gate then bear left on the track as it goes around the right hand side of the sheep pens. The track then straightens out for a flat section of double track. Go past the farms on the left then up a short climb to a junction, just above the last farm building. Take the left hand track to go straight on and descend a short way to a junction with a lane (GR178299).
7. Turn left and descend the road, past the farm entrance on the left, to a bridleway that climbs a short way to a gate above on the right (GR178300). Don’t go too fast on the descent as the track is easy to miss. If you cross the stream at the bottom of the valley you have gone too far. Go through the gate then bear right and climb very steeply through the field, keeping to the fence on the right, to a gate in the top right hand corner. Go through this gate then continue climbing steeply through the next field, still keeping to the fence on the right, to a gated junction with a double track (GR181300).
8. Go through the gate then turn left and climb the double track across the side of the hill. After a while the track goes through two gates set close together and comes to field with a small stand of trees straight ahead. Go to the right of the trees and follow the fence, keeping it on the left. Climb through the bottom of the fields to a forked grassy junction, just after a gate near the top of the hill (GR193297).
9. Bear left and descend the fast, grassy double track. The track bears left through a gate, at a sheepfold, before bearing right for a fast rutted double track descent to a farm. Go straight on past the farm and descend the track to a junction with a lane (GR209302). Turn left and descend the lane to a crossroad junction in the dip, then go straight on and climb to the next junction with a lane on the right (GR207308). Turn right and follow the lane along the flat before it bears right and climbs to a three-way junction. Turn right then climb the lane up the left hand side of the valley, going past the junctions on the left. At the head of the valley follow the lane right then left to the top of the climb. At the top go straight on past a junction with a track on the left then descend a short way to the next junction with a lane on the left (GR225317).
10. Turn sharp left and descend the lane to a farm. Go straight on through the farm and descend the rocky double track to a gate at the bottom. Go through the gate then the ford and climb the steep rocky double track as it bears right around the trees on the right. Continue along the double track to a gated crossroad junction (GR225326). After the gate go straight on and climb the rutted double track along the line of Hawthorn trees on the left. After some time go through a gate then follow the double track over the top of the hill. Follow the double track down the other side, which eventually bears left before coming to a gate near Llechrydau Farm. At the junction immediately after the gate turn right then go through the dip before climbing to the gate at the lane by the farm (GR223340).
11. Turn left on the lane then go past the track on the right. Follow the lane straight on over the top of the hill then descend to the previously visited gated junction with a track on the left in the dip, where the lane climbs off to the right (GR211344). Turn left through the gate then at the junction immediately after turn right. Descend the wide, rocky track to a gate a short distance later. After the gate descend the steep, wide, rocky track that bears gently left down the left hand side of the gulley. At the junction where the gully opens out, with a grassy track ahead leading to a gate, follow the rocky double track right. Descend the track across the slope of the hill on the right to the next junction then bear right and go through the trees. At the next junction go straight on and descend to a gate and cattle grid ahead. Go over the cattle grid and descend the rough tarmac to a gate at a house (GR198352).
12. After the gate bear left and descend the lane to a junction at the bottom with a gated track on the right next to a house on the left, before going over the bridge (GR196351). Turn right through the gate then follow the concessional bridleway along the right hand side of the river to a junction at the back of the village of Pandy. Continue straight on in the direction of the river, now on the right. After a while the track comes to a forked junction. Take the left hand track and climb steeply a short way to a gate (GR198363). After the gate go straight ahead and descend the lane back into Glyn Ceiriog. At the roundabout in the centre of the village take the third exit and follow the main road back to the Community Centre car park, on the left, to complete the ride.