Llandegla and Back
North Wales Mountain Bike Route Guide
The Clwydian Range, North Wales
(Requires advanced skills and fitness)
OS Explorer 265
Route Text Download:
Llandegla and Back
GPX and KML
(available via the full MapMyRide page for this route, on the right hand side of the page)
Llandegla and Back Route
This mountain bike route of 36.3 miles starts from below Moel Famau in the Clwydian Range, in North Wales. Using a mixture of tarmac and trails it heads out through Nercwys Forest on the way to the manmade singletrack at Llandegla MTB Centre. After taking in the Black Route it leaves the forest on the historic Offa’s Dyke path before returning to Moel Famau along the ridge of the Clwyds. This big day out in the hills is a great mixture of pure XC and singletrack fun with a good café stop on the way.
1. Leave the Moel Famau lower car park by the exit to the lane (GR172611). Turn left and follow the lane straight on past a junction with a track on the left then a lane on the right. Continue straight ahead past some houses on the left then up a short climb. At the top descend the lane all the way to the village of Tafarn-y-Gelyn. At the village go straight on, past junctions with lanes to the right and left, all the way to where the lane ends at a junction with the main road (GR191619).
2. Turn left and descend the road to Loggerheads garage at the bottom (GR196623). Opposite the garage turn right on the signed bridleway and cross the bridge. Follow the track right then left, then go up a steep muddy climb through the trees. The climb isn’t too long and soon flattens off for a nice bit of singletrack. Where the singletrack comes out at the muddy double track go straight on. Keep going straight ahead when the mud gives way to tarmac. At the junction at the end of the lane turn right and descend to a junction by a steam crossing on the right (GR193611).
3. Turn left and follow the lane ahead up an increasingly steep climb all the way to Meashafn, at the top. Go straight through Meashafn to a junction on the far side of the village (GR203610). Continue straight on at the junction and climb the lane ahead. After reaching the top descend the lane to where it ends at a junction (GR213603). Turn left and descend the road to the following crossroad junction. Turn right and follow the lane across the hill, with the forest just high on the right. After going past two junctions with lanes on the left climb to the next junction, a crossroad with a dirt track on the left and an inscribed stone on the right (GR221593). Turn right and climb the lane a short way to a car park at the entrance of Nercwys Forest on the left (GR218593).
4. Turn left and go through the gate into the forest. Climb the wide hardpack track. After passing a track on the left climb more steeply to the next junction, on a left hand bend, with a track on the right (GR217589). Turn right and follow this thinner track as it climbs gently through the trees to the next junction, with a track on the right. Go straight on to the next junction, at the information board, then follow the main trail 90deg left. Climb the long straight double track to a junction just after the crest. Turn right and descend a short stretch of trail that then bears left past Llyn Ochin before rejoining the main trail. Turn right on the main trail and descend through a few bends. The trail straightens then drops through a long left hand bend before reaching another series bends. After these bends the trail straightens out and flattens off. Just before the trail drops again it comes to a junction (GR218580). Turn right and climb the twisting track to a view point at the top. After the summit continue along the track for a short, winding descent to a junction. Turn right and descend to a gate at the edge of the forest (GR217577).
5. Once through the gate turn left on the lane. A short distance later turn right onto a dirt track just before a house on the right (GR219577). Bear left around the back of the house then go straight on at the next junction. The muddy double track soon bears right before going through a dip. After this follow the track ahead all the way to where it ends at a junction with a lane. Go straight ahead and immediately over the crest of the lane then descend to the next junction with a double track on the right (GR221566). Turn right and climb the track marked as a bridleway. Once over the top descend to where the track ends at a junction with a lane (GR216567). Turn right and climb the lane to a gated grassy bridleway on the left, at the top of the hill, by a house on the right (GR213569).
6. Turn left through the gate and descend the grassy track. Stay by the dry stone wall on the right and head in the direction of the chimney. Keep to the wall and go straight on through the ford and gate in the trees at the bottom. After the gate climb the muddy, grassy singletrack that bears right then left between the drystone walls. After the left hand bend continue ahead to the top then descend to where the track ends at a gated junction with a road (GR212563). Turn left on the road and descend into Graianrhyd. At the four-way junction by the Rose and Crownpub (it just looks like a house) turn right. At the next junction a short distance later turn right again (GR218561). Follow the lane to the next junction and climb the steep gravel track on the left. When the track flattens off continue ahead to where it ends at a junction with a lane (G215550).
7. Turn left and follow the lane over the top of the hill then descend to a junction. Turn right and follow the lane all the way to the traffic lights at the crossroad (GR234550). Go straight across the junction and climb the road ahead. After reaching the top of the climb continue straight on and descend the road that eventually goes through a dip before climbing to a crossroad junction, at the Moors Inn on the A525. Go straight on and climb the road over the crest then descend a short way to a junction on a left hand bend (GR253529). Turn right and follow the lane past a farm. Continue straight on along this lane all the way to the entrance of Llandegla MTB centre on the left (GR239524).
8. Turn left through the gates and climb to the Oneplanet Log Cabinat the trail head of the Llandegla MTB centre. The café here does great food & drink. Follow the Red/Black Route from the Log Cabin. After the first long climb descend to the start of the Black Route on the left, just after a hairpin bend. Go down the Black descents then climb through the switchbacks to the fire track. Continue on the Black Route up the next singletrack climb through the trees. The climb finishes with a straight, steep and wide rocky section. Directly after the top of this a singletrack trail crosses the track, descending off to the left, which is Offa’s Dyke path (GR213509). If you reach the point where the Red Route rejoins the Black you have gone a little too far.
9. Turn left and descend the thin rocky track. After a couple of bends it gives way to a wider, muddy and root covered track. At the junction with a forest track go straight on and descend the singletrack. Go through the gate at the edge of the forest then through a couple of steep, loose and rocky bends to a junction with a lane (GR207512). Turn right and follow the lane to a junction with the A525 at the Plough Inn (GR207518).
10. Turn left and follow the A525 to the junction with a lane on the right to Llandegla village. Turn right and follow the lane to a crossroad junction in Llandegla village (GR199519). Go straight on over the main road and descend through the village to the next junction and bear left then right around the church. Continue along the lane to the next crossroad junction (GR182526). Go straight on and follow the lane over the next hill. After the crest descend a straight section of lane to a junction (GR171542). Take the double track ahead, just to the right of the lane. At the next junction, immediately after, go right to the gate leading to Gweryd Lakes fishery. Go through the gate then follow the double track ahead through the trees. Descend straight on out of the trees and go past a lake on the left. At the junction by the big barn turn right around the back of the building (GR174552).
11. Follow the track past the buildings on the right after which the track turns left over a crest. Descend through a tight right hand bend where the track becomes tarmac and descends steeply to a T-junction at the bottom (GR184557). Turn left then, at the next junction a short distance later, turn left again. Climb the dead end lane all the way to the top, where it becomes a wide gravel track (GR168558). Go straight on and descend the double track through a tight right hand bend, then along some fast ruts on a long left hand bend that leads into the trees. Once in the trees go straight on past a track on the right. The track then becomes a lane and goes through a number of bends before finishing at a junction (GR145567).
12. Turn right and follow the lane through a left hand bend to the next junction. Turn right and follow the lane past a farm on the right to the next junction, with a lane on the right signed as a bridleway immediately before a house (GR142573). Turn right and follow the lane to a farm. Go straight on through the farm then climb towards the trees. At the first small junction follow the lane to the left. Go up a steep climb to the next junction, by a house on the right (GR155576).
13. Go straight on and climb the dirt track into the woods. Go through the gate then follow the main track ahead through the trees, ignoring the tracks on either side. At a junction at the top edge of the woods, where the right hand track leads to a house, take the left hand track that leads to a forked junction shortly after. Go through a gate on the right to exit the woods. Climb the track, keeping the trees on the left then go through a left hand hairpin at the house and climb back into the trees. After the trees bear right through a field then follow the track ahead, past some houses, to a junction with the A494 by the Clwyd Gate (GR163581).
14. Turn right and descend the main road a short way then, just after bollards, take the track climbing away on the left (GR166582). At the houses follow the track right and go over the cattle grid then follow the double track as it climbs steadily across the side of the hill. At the junction at the end of the gorse hedge on the left bear left up a short, steep grassy climb to a gate (GR170589). After the gate follow the singletrack into the trees. On the other side of the trees keep going straight ahead through the gates and fields. After a while the grassy trail descends to another gate. Go through the gate then on to a junction in the bottom of a dip. Turn left and climb the steep, grassy track along the edge of the field to a gate at a farm (GR172597).
15. Once through the gate turn right and go through two more gates set close together. Continue climbing, on a gentler incline, along the double track as it follows the drystone wall. At the top the track bears right and flattens off, still following the wall. The track then bears left before coming to a junction with the grassy, rutted double track. Continue straight on and descend to a gate. Go through the gate then after a short distance go through the next gate to a wide hard pack track. Bear right and descend the wide track. Keep descending the track ahead, which soon bears left. Go through the gate about 1/3 of the way down and continue descending ahead on the increasingly rocky trail that ends at a gated junction at the bottom (GR179611). After the gate turn left on the lane then follow it through a right hand bend to where it ends at a junction. Turn left and follow the lane to the lower Moel Famau car park on the right to complete the ride (GR172611).