The Llanarmon Loop
North Wales Mountain Bike Route Guide
The Clwydian Range, North Wales
(Basic MTB Skills Required)
OS Explorer 265
Route Text Download:
The Llanarmon Loop
GPX and KML
(available via the full MapMyRide page for this route, on the right hand side of the page)
The Llanarmon Loop Route
This mountain bike route of 13 miles starts from Graianrhyd, a small village to the east of the Clwydian Range in North Wales. It follows the trails through the low hills around Llanarmon-yn-Ial, Eryrys and Nercwys Forest for some great riding on a mixture of double track, singletrack and forest track.
1. Start from the car park at the Rose and Crown in Graianrhyd - please pop in and let the landlord know you’re there (GR218561). With the pub on the right leave the car park by the exit that leads directly onto a road junction. Go straight across and follow the lane as it bears gently to the right before coming to a junction with a track on the left climbing into the trees (GR217558).Turn left and climb the steep gravel track, which soon flattens off, and head straight on until it eventually ends at a junction with a lane (G215550).
2. Turn right and descend the lane a short distance to the next junction then turn left following the sign for the camp site. The lane climbs for a short distance then bears right over the crest, before descending to the entrance of the campsite (GR205549). Directly before the entrance take the double track on the left, sign posted as a bridleway. After a gentle, grassy double track climb the track starts descending, bearing right, to follow the edge of the campsite. At the field continue bearing right on the doubletrack to a junction with a track at the campsite. Bear left, keeping the caravans directly on the right then a short distance before a gate leading into the field ahead, turn left on the easy to miss singletrack leading into the trees (GR200546).
3. At the gate directly after emerging from the trees go straight on and descend through the field, keeping to the fence on the left. At the end of the fence follow the track square left to a gate in the trees. Go through this gate and follow the track until it descends to a gated junction with a wide gravel track at a farm, on the right (GR194541). Go straight across the farm track and through the gate ahead then continue straight on to the stream crossing . Cross the stream using the bridge then climb gently across the field in an 11 o’clock direction on the vague grassy double track. At the far side of the field follow the double track between the hedges to a gate (GR190540).
4. After the gate turn right and follow the lane into Llanarmon-yn-Ial. Climb into the village to a junction by the village shop at the far left hand corner of the church grounds (GR190561). Turn right and follow the lane around the church grounds, going past The Raven Inn on the left. At the far side of the village follow the lane square left and descend to a bridge. At the junction directly after the bridge turn left and climb to a junction with the road at the top (GR195563).
5. Turn left then at the junction immediately after turn right. Climb the road past the school to the bends a while later, just after the 17% sign. Climb the first steep corner left then bear right and continue climbing to a junction with a bridleway on the right (GR202573). Turn right and climb the limestone double track. Climb straight on over then crest then descend through a right hand bend before climbing left out of the dip. Go straight on past the house on the right and the following junction then descend to where the track ends at a junction with a lane (GR210571).
6. Turn left and follow the lane as it bears left to a junction. Continue bearing left and follow the lane as it straightens out and descends to a crossroad junction in Eryrys by The Sun Inn (GR204579). Go straight on then after going past the houses on the left descend to a junction in the dip. Go straight on for a very short climb, then continue straight on to where the tarmac gives way to a dirt track. Go straight on down the track for a fun, loose and muddy descent. At the bottom follow the lane left that leads to a junction at the end (GR190590).
7. Turn right and climb the steep lane then at the top bear right past a cattery before turning left. Continue along the lane as it descends past a few houses and enters the trees. After the house in the dip continue straight on and climb the straight dirt track through the trees. Go past at footpath on the left at the end of the trees and continue along the track to an area of grass on the right, just before some houses (GR202595).
8. Follow the signed bridleway along the right hand side of the grass, staying to the right of the logs set into the ground. At the far side of the grass go up a short, steep singletrack climb and follow the rooty singletrack into the trees. The track soon flattens off before eventually ending at a junction with a lane. Turn right on the lane and climb to the crossroad junction (GR207594). Go straight across and follow the lane straight on over the crest of the hill. Descend the lane through a right then left hand bend. The lane then straightens out before coming to the car park at the entrance of Nercwys Forest, on the right (GR218592).
9. Turn right into the car park and go through the gate into the forest. Climb the wide hardpack track and go past a track on the left. Continue climbing to the next junction with a track on the right, on a left hand bend, marked by a direction post. Turn right and climb the singletrack. At the next junction, with a track on the right, go straight on. A short distance later follow the main trail 90deg left, ignoring the tracks on either side. Climb the trail straight on through the trees to the junction just after the top. Turn right and follow the short stretch of singletrack past Llyn Ochin before rejoining the main trail. Turn right and descend through a number of bends. The trail then straightens out before coming to a left hand bend that leads on to another series bends. After these bends the trial straightens before coming to a junction, just before the trail ahead starts descending again (at speed it can be easy to miss). Turn right for a short winding climb to the view point. After the summit continue along the track for a short descent that soon bears left before ending at a junction. Turn right and descend to the gate at the edge of the forest (GR217577).
10. Once through the gate turn left on the lane. A short distance later turn right onto the dirt track just before a house on the right (GR219577). Bear left around the back of the house then go straight on at the next junction. Follow the muddy double track as it bears right through the trees. The trail eventually finishes at a junction with a lane. Bear slightly right and descend the lane to the next junction, in the dip (GR221566). Turn right and climb the wide dirt track marked as a bridleway. Once over the crest descend to a junction with a lane (GR216567).
11. Turn right and climb the lane to the bridleway signed through a gate on the left at the top, by a house on the right (GR213569). Turn left through the gate and descend the grassy track, staying by the dry stone wall on the right, heading in the direction of the chimney. Go straight on through the ford and gate in the trees at the bottom then climb the grassy singletrack that soon bears right then left. Be careful of the odd bit of slippery limestone that can catch you out. After the crest continue along the track and descend the double track that bears right to a gated junction with the road (GR212563). Turn left and follow the road back to the Rose and Crown in Graianrhyd to complete the ride.