Graianrhyd and Nercwys Forest
Clwydian Range Mountain Bike Route Guide
This mountain bike route of 9.8 miles starts from Graianrhyd, a small village to the east of the Clwydian Range in North Wales. It follows the trails through the low hills around Eryrys and Nercwys Forest for some great riding on a mixture of double track, singletrack and forest track.
1. Start from the car park at the Rose and Crown in Graianrhyd - please pop in and let the landlord know you’re there (GR218561). Exit the car park with the pub on the left and turn left onto the main road. At the junction immediately after turn right and climb the steep lane. The gradient soon reduces. Continue along the lane then go past a track on the right just before a small cemetery. Go straight on and climb the lane, going past a bridleway on the left and house on the right at the top. Descend the lane ahead, through a dip, then climb to the next junction with a wide gravel track on the left (GR210571).
2. Turn left and climb the wide track a short distance to a four-way junction at the top. Take the double track ahead and slightly right to descend between the trees. At the bottom follow the track right then left before going up a short rocky climb. At the top descend the double track ahead to where it ends at a junction with a lane (GR202573). Turn right and climb the steep lane through a couple of bends. The lane soon reaches the top and descends into Eryrys. Descend to the junction directly after the Sun Inn on the left (GR204579).
3. Turn left and ride past the houses on the left, then descend to a junction in a dip and go straight on up a very short climb. At the top continue straight on where the tarmac gives way to a dirt track that descends bearing slightly right. Follow this track straight ahead for a fun, loose and muddy descent. When the track ends at a lane follow it left then continue on to where it ends at a junction (GR190590).
4. Turn right and climb the steep singletrack lane. At the top the lane turns right past a cattery before then turning left. Continue along the lane as it descends past a few houses and enters the trees. At the bottom of the descent, by a house on the left, go straight on up the double track that climbs straight ahead through the trees. At the end of the trees go past a footpath on the left, at the start of a plateau, and continue ahead to the start of a lawn on the right, just before some houses (GR202595).
5. Follow the signed bridleway by the fence on the right hand side of the lawn. At the far side of the lawn go up a short, steep climb to follow the muddy and rooty singletrack into the trees. The track soon flattens off before eventually ending at a junction with a lane. Turn right on the lane and climb to a crossroad junction (GR207594). Go straight across and climb the lane on the other side. Continue ahead over the top then descend the lane through a couple of bends and on to the car park at the entrance of Nercwys Forest on the right (GR218592).
6. Turn right into the car park and go through the gate into the forest. Follow the wide forest track to a thin track on the left just as the main track begins to climb steeply. Turn left and climb the thin track through the trees. The track soon levels off for some rocky riding through a felled section of the forest. Eventually the track bears right to a junction at the edge of the fully grown trees. Continue straight on and follow the track into the trees. Keep following the track until it ends at a junction with a wide forest track after a short but tricky climb. Turn left and follow the wide track down to a gated junction at the edge of the forest (GR217577).
7. Once through the gate turn left on the lane. A short distance later turn right onto a dirt track just before a house on the right (GR219577). Bear left around the back of the house then go straight on at the next junction. The muddy double track soon bears right through a dip. After this follow the track all the way to where it ends at a junction with a lane. Go straight ahead then immediately over the crest of the lane and descend to the next junction with a double track on the right (GR221566). Turn right and climb the track marked as a bridleway, then once over the top descend to a junction with a lane (GR216567).
8. Turn right and climb the previously ridden lane to the bridleway signed through a gate on the left at top (GR213569). Turn left through the gate and descend the grassy track, staying by the dry stone wall on the right to head in the direction of the chimney. Keep to the wall then go straight on through the ford and gate at the bottom. After the gate climb the muddy singletrack through the grass. Be careful of the odd bit of slippery limestone that can catch you out. After reaching the top continue ahead along the track and descend to a gated junction with a road (GR212563).
9. Go straight over the road then follow the lane on the other side. Climb the lane through a right then left hand bend past the farm. After going over the top of the climb descend to a three way junction (GR210554). Turn left and climb the lane towards the pylon on top of the hill on the left. At the start of the steepest and final part of the climb go straight on past junction with a lane on the right. At the top the lane comes to a junction with a wide gravel track on the left (GR216550).
10. Turn left and follow the gravel double straight ahead. Keep following this track, which after a while heads downhill for a fast descent that finishes at a junction with a lane (GR217558). Turn right and follow the lane to where it ends at a junction. Go straight across and return to the Rose and Crown car park to complete the ride. Make sure you go into the pub and purchase your liquid car park token. They come in lots of lovely flavours!