Pen y Gwely Reservoir
North Wales Mountain Bike Route Guide
Ceiriog Valley, North Wales
(Basic MTB Skills Required)
OS Explorer 255
Route Text Download:
Pen y Gwely Reservoir
GPX and KML
(available via the full MapMyRide page for this route, on the right hand side of the page)
Pen y Gwely Reservoir Route
This mountain bike route of 12.6 miles starts in Glyn Ceiriog, a village in the Ceiriog Valley in North Wales. Although it's an easy ride it does start with a big climb out of the valley but it is on tarmac. Once at the top the route retains its altitude, staying on the undulating trails across the hill tops until the final big descent back into the Ceiriog Valley. It's definitely worth the effort of the first climb.
1. Start from the car park at the Community Centre in Glyn Ceiriog (GR204379).Turn right out of the car park and follow the main road to the roundabout in the centre of the village. Take the first exit to turn left. A short distance later follow the road right then left across a bridge to the junction directly after (GR202376).Turn right and climb the lane ahead through the trees, ignoring the minor tracks on either side. After quite some time the lane turns left and steepens before leaving the cover of the trees and passing a house on the left. At the junction directly after the house follow the lane right and continue climbing the lane all the way to a three way junction at the top of the hill (GR205354).
2. Turn left and follow the lane along the top of the hill to a crossroad junction in the woods (GR219351). Turn right and go around the right hand side of the gate then follow the double track through the trees. Go through a few gates and descend the rutted track that eventually bears right to some gates at the bottom. Go through the two sets of gates to a junction with a lane (GR223340).
3. Turn left then at the next junction immediately after, at the start of the farm, turn right through the gate and descend the muddy track through a dip. At the junction after the dip bear left, following the fence on the left, to a gate (GR224339). Go through the gate and climb gently along the double track. The track soon bears right where it becomes steep. Continue up this track, past a couple of tracks on the left, to a gate straight ahead just after the crest. Go through the gate and descend the rutted double track along the line of trees. The track comes to a gated junction at the end of the trees, there can also be a big puddle here if it’s wet (GR225325).
4. Go through gate ahead and continue straight on along the grassy double track. Soon after the track bears left for a fast, rocky double track descent. At the bottom bear left then go through a ford and climb to a gate at a farm. Go straight on through the gate and the farm then climb the lane to a crossroad junction (GR225316). Turn right and follow the lane over the crest. Go past a house on the left then follow the lane down through a right, then left hand bend to a signed junction with a bridleway on the right a short distance after. Take care with your speed as the junction is easy to overshoot (GR219318).
5. Turn right and climb the double track through the gate all the way to the next junction. Turn sharp right and go through the gate to continue climbing through the trees. Go through the gate at the far side of the trees and continue straight on along the double track to a junction at the crest. Go straight on and descend a very short distance to a gate. Go through the gate and continue descending a short distance to a junction with a double track by Pen y Gwely reservoir (GR221320).
6. Turn left and follow the track up the left hand side of the small reservoir. At the junction at the far end of the reservoir go straight on past the bridge then climb the wide track through a right then left hand bend. At the following junctions go straight ahead to stay on the double track. The track eventually drops right into a dip then climbs left through a gate. After the gate continue straight on, following the double track through a field. After a short descent to a stream crossing go straight on through the water and climb the rutted track straight on. Continue climbing straight on through the gates along the rutted track for a while. At the top the track drops to a gate in the trees. After the gate continue ahead and descend the double track to a junction. Take the right hand track to go straight on and descend to a wide rocky junction (GR196333).
7. Turn right and climb the double track to the top of the hill, going through all the gates on the way up. Keep following the double track across the top of the hill where it eventually turns right to a gate in the bottom right hand corner of a field (GR204338). Go through the gate then turn left and follow the grassy ruts to a gate on the far side of the field. After this gate descend the gravel track between the fences to a junction with a track on the left, just before reaching a gate leading to a lane straight ahead (GR211344).
8. Turn left and descend the wide, rocky track to a gate a short distance later. After the gate descend the steep, wide, rocky track that bears gently left down the left hand side of the gulley. At the junction where the gully opens out, with a grassy track ahead leading to a gate, follow the rocky double track right. Descend the track across the slope of the hill on the right to the next junction then bear right and go through the trees. At the next junction go straight on and descend to a gate and cattle grid ahead. Go over the cattle grid and descend the rough tarmac to a gate at a house (GR198352).
9. After the gate bear left and descend the lane to a junction at the bottom with a gated track on the right next to a house on the left, before going over the bridge (GR196351). Turn right through the gate then follow the concessional bridleway along the right hand side of the river to a junction at the back of the village of Pandy. Continue straight on in the direction of the river, now on the right. After a while the track comes to a forked junction. Take the left hand track and climb steeply a short way to a gate (GR198363). After the gate go straight ahead and descend the lane back into Glyn Ceiriog. At the roundabout in the centre of the village take the third exit and follow the main road back to the Community Centre car park, on the left, to complete the ride.