The Clwyds and Nercwys Forest
North Wales Mountain Bike Route Guide
Starting from below Moel Famau this mountain bike route follows the rolling hills to Nercwys Forest before returning along the southern end of the Clwydian Range, in North Wales. This route is not especially technical it does contain some really nice descents. There is a bit of tarmac on this ride but it is mainly on quiet country lanes that make the route feel less than its full distance of 21.4 miles.
1. Leave the Moel Famau lower car park by the exit to the lane (GR172611). Turn left and follow the lane straight on past a junction with a track on the left then a lane on the right. Continue straight ahead past some houses on the left then up a short climb. At the top descend the lane all the way to the village of Tafarn-y-Gelyn. At the village go straight on, past junctions with lanes to the right and left, all the way to where the lane ends at a junction with the main road (GR191619).
2. Turn left and descend the road to Loggerheads garage at the bottom (GR196623). Opposite the garage turn right on the signed bridleway and cross the bridge. Follow the track right then left, then go up a steep muddy climb through the trees. The climb isn’t too long and soon flattens off for a nice bit of singletrack. Where the singletrack comes out at the muddy double track go straight on. Keep going straight ahead when the mud gives way to tarmac. At the junction at the end of the lane turn right and descend to a junction by a steam crossing on the right (GR193611).
3. Turn left and follow the lane ahead up an increasingly steep climb all the way to Meashafn, at the top. Go straight through Meashafn to a junction on the far side of the village (GR203610). Continue straight on at the junction and follow the undulating lane to where it ends at a junction (GR213603). Turn left and descend the road to the next junction. Turn right at this crossroad and ride along the lane, with the forest just high on the right. After going past two junctions with lanes on the left climb to the next junction, a crossroad with a dirt track on the left and an inscribed stone on the right (GR221593). Turn right and climb the lane a short way to the car park and entrance to Nercwys Forest on the left (GR218593).
4. Turn left and go through the gate into the forest. Climb the wide hardpack track. After passing a track on the left continue climbing to the next junction, on a left hand bend, with a track on the right (GR217589). Turn right and follow this thinner track as it climbs gently through the trees to the next junction, with a track on the right. Go straight then follow the main trail to a junction on a 90deg left hand bend. Turn left on the main trail then climb the long straight to a junction just after the crest. Turn right and descend a short stretch of trail past Llyn Ochin before rejoining the main trail. Turn right on the main trail and descend through a few bends. The trail straightens then drops through a long left hand bend before reaching another series bends. After these bends the trail straightens out and flattens off. Just before the trail drops again it comes to a junction (GR218580). Turn right and climb the twisting track to a view point at the top. After the summit continue along the track for a short descent to a junction. Turn right and descend to a gate at the lane (GR217577).
5. Once through the gate turn left on the lane. A short distance later turn right onto a dirt track just before a house on the right (GR219577). Bear left around the back of the house then go straight on at the next junction. The muddy double track soon bears right through a dip. After this follow the track all the way to where it ends at a junction with a lane. Go straight ahead then immediately over the crest of the lane and descend to the next junction with a double track on the right (GR221566). Turn right and climb the track marked as a bridleway, then once over the top descend to a junction with a lane (GR216567). Turn right and climb the lane, going past a bridleway on the left and house on the right at the top. Descend the lane ahead, through a dip, then climb to the next junction with a wide gravel track on the left (GR210571).
6. Turn left and climb the wide track a short distance to a four-way junction at the top. Take the double track ahead and slightly right to descend between the trees. At the bottom follow the track right then left before going up a short rocky climb. At the top descend the double track ahead to where it ends at a junction with a lane (GR202573). Turn right and climb the steep lane through a couple of bends. The lane soon reaches the top and descends into Eryrys. Descend to the junction directly after the Sun Inn on the left (GR204579).
7. Turn left and ride past the houses on the left, then descend to a junction in a dip and go straight on up a very short climb. At the top continue straight on where the tarmac gives way to a dirt track that descends bearing slightly right. Follow this track straight ahead for a fun, loose and muddy descent. When the track ends at a lane follow it left then continue on to where it ends at a junction (GR190590). Turn left and descend steeply though a tight right hand bend then over a bridge and on to a crossroad junction in the bottom of the valley (GR185589).
8. Turn left and follow the road straight on at the next junction at the top of a little hump. Continue following the road past a junction at some houses on the right, then through a left then right hand bend. The road soon comes to a crossroad junction with a lane on the left and a double track on the right (GR188575). Turn right and descend the track between the hedges to a stream crossing. After crossing the stream climb the track ahead to where it ends at a junction with a lane. Turn left and follow the lane to a three-way junction at a stone church (GR186565). Go straight on, past the right hand side of the church, and follow the lane to the next junction. Continue straight ahead along the lane that comes to a junction with two dead end lanes (GR184559).
9. Turn right and climb the lane all the way to the top, where it becomes a wide gravel track (GR168558). Go straight on and descend the double track through a tight right hand bend, then along some fast ruts on a long left hand bend that leads into the trees. Once in the trees go straight on past a track on the right. The track then becomes a lane and goes through a number of bends before finishing at a junction (GR145567).
10. Turn right and follow the lane through a left hand bend to the next junction. Turn right and follow the lane past a farm on the right to the next junction, with a lane on the right signed as a bridleway immediately before a house (GR142573). Turn right and follow the lane to a farm. Go straight on through the farm then climb towards the trees. At the first small junction follow the lane to the left. Go up the steep climb to the next junction, by a house on the right (GR155576).
11. Go straight on and climb the dirt track into the woods. Go through the gate then follow the main track ahead through the trees, ignoring the tracks on either side. At a junction at the top edge of the woods, where the right hand track leads to a house, take the left hand track that leads to a forked junction shortly after. Go through a gate on the right to exit the woods. Climb the track, keeping the trees on the left then go through a left hand hairpin at the house and climb back into the trees. After the trees bear right through a field then follow the track ahead, past some houses, to a junction with the A494 by the Clwyd Gate (GR163581).
12. Turn right and descend the main road a short way then, just after bollards, take the track climbing away on the left (GR166582). At the houses follow the track right and go over the cattle grid then follow the double track as it climbs steadily across the side of the hill. At the junction at the end of the gorse hedge on the left bear left up a short, steep grassy climb to a gate (GR170589). After the gate follow the singletrack into the trees. On the other side of the trees keep going straight ahead through the gates and fields. After a while the grassy trail descends to another gate. Go through the gate then on to a junction in the bottom of a dip. Turn left and climb the steep, grassy track along the edge of the field to a gate at a farm (GR172597).
13. Once through the gate turn right and go through two more gates set close together. Continue climbing, on a gentler incline, along the double track as it follows the drystone wall. At the top the track bears right and flattens off, still following the wall. The track then bears left before coming to a junction with the grassy, rutted double track. Continue straight on and descend to a gate. Go through the gate then after a short distance go through the next gate to a wide hard pack track. Bear right and descend the wide track. Keep descending the track ahead, which soon bears left. Go through the gate about 1/3 of the way down and continue descending ahead on the increasingly rocky trail that ends at a gate and a junction at the bottom (GR179611). After the gate turn left on the lane then follow it through a right hand bend to where it ends at a junction. Turn left and follow the lane to the lower Moel Famau car park on the right to complete the ride (GR172611).