The Pheasant Track Short
North Wales Mountain Bike Route Guide
This is a mountain bike route of 11 miles that starts from Glyn Ceiriog in North Wales. It heads west along the Ceiriog Valley before turning into the hills for a return route with some great rocky descending, including the Pheasant Track.
1. Start from the car park by the Community Centre in Glyn Ceiriog (GR204379). Turn right out of the car park and follow the main road to the roundabout at the centre of the village, by the Glyn Valley Hotel. Take the second exit to go past the front of the hotel then past a public toilet on the left. At the next junction go straight on to follow the road along the bottom of the valley out of the village. A while later go past the entrance to the campsite, on the left, to the next junction a short distance later, a crossroad junction just in the trees with a driveway on the right and a gated track on the left (GR198363).
2. Go through the gate on the left and descend the concessional bridleway to the side of the river. At the bottom follow the track straight on, keeping by the river, to a junction at the back of Pandy. Go straight on and follow the track until it ends at a junction with a lane (GR196351). Turn right on the lane and cross the bridge over the river then follow it to the junction with the road by Erw Gerrig Cottages (GR195353). Turn sharp left and climb the road, going past the pony trekking centre at the top. Keep following the road all the way to a junction in the middle of Tregeiriog (GR186342). Continue straight on and follow the road along the bottom of the valley to the next junction, with a lane on the right, directly after crossing a stream (GR168334).
3. Turn right up the lane. A short distance later at the next junction go straight on and climb up the valley, following the stream. Stay on the lane and follow it up the valley going past a few farm buildings and houses on the way. The lane finally bears left, past a cottage on the left on the opposite side of the stream, before becoming a double track trail. Continue ahead up the trail as it climbs more steeply up the right hand side of the valley, going past tracks on the left on the way up. Eventually the track comes to a junction with a track on the right and a gate straight ahead (GR163351). Go through the gate and climb the steep, grassy, rutted double track to a junction at the top. Go straight on and follow the double track across the moor, staying just to the left of the ruts as the far end of this track can get very muddy. Continue along the track until it ends at a junction with a wide rocky trail (GR161356).
4. Turn right and climb the rocky track to a gate near the crest of the next hill (GR162375). Go straight on through the gate then over the top of the hill for a fast, rocky descent on the other side. There are a couple of gates on this descent, but only the middle one is usually closed. The start of the descent is a very rocky double track then near the bottom, after a few bends, it crosses some off camber slate bedrock, sketchy but great fun. The descent finishes at a gated offset junction (GR170369).
5. After the gate go straight on through a dip then climb the lane right to a junction (GR171371). Turn right and climb the steep lane, past a farm on the left, to the next junction. Take the second lane on the left to climb steeply past the right hand side of the house. Go straight on at the junction at the top of the hill then bear left and descend the lane through a series of bends. Follow the lane right at the bottom of the dip then climb to a four way junction (GR189382).
6. Turn right and follow the wide dirt track past a farm on the left. Stay on the main trail, ignoring both the gated tracks on the right, for a descent that starts with wide double track. After passing the second gate on the right the track drops left over a step down into an eroded, rocky gully. The descent eventually goes through a couple of corners over exposed slate bedrock before coming to a junction on a right hand bend. Follow the main track right. The track then bears left before becoming a tarmac lane. Go straight on and descend a short distance to a junction, where the lane turns left (GR203381). Follow the lane left then go through a right hand hairpin before reaching a forked junction. Take the left hand lane for a short steep climb. At the next forked junction bear right along the double track that goes past a line of cottages on the left and a red phone box. The track ends at a junction by the church (GR204384).
7. Turn right and descend the very steep lane to a junction on the lower edge of the church yard. Bear left, keeping to the wall of the church yard, and follow the level track that soon comes to a gate (GR205384). Directly before the gate turn right and descend the singletrack between the hedges. This fun track eventually bears left and comes out at a house. Follow the track past the house then bear right and follow the double track down to a junction with a lane (GR209381). Turn right and follow the lane to a junction directly after the very small bridge. Turn left and follow the lane, by the culvert on the left, to a junction with the main road on the outskirts of Glyn Ceiriog (GR207379). Turn right and follow the main road back to the Community Centre car park to complete the ride (GR204379).