North Wales Coast to Coast – Day 4
North Wales Mountain Bike Route Guide
The Clwydian Range, North Wales
(Requires advanced skills and fitness)
OS Explorer 265
Route Text Download:
North Wales C2C – Day4
GPX and KML
(available via the full MapMyRide page for this route, on the right hand side of the page)
North Wales Coast to Coast - D4 Route
Day 4: A mountain bike route of 48.5 miles with 6765ft of climbing from Llandegla to Prestatyn. The final day traverses the full length of the Clwydian Range on a good mixture of tracks and country lanes. It is the least technical day with the least climbing. That’s not to say it’s easy. There are climbs that will have your legs burning but it also has descents that will put a smile on your tired face. The riding is combined with fantastic views across Snowdonia and the Cheshire plain on a clear day.
1. Turn right out of the exit of Llandegla Fishery and descend the main road (A525) down the valley. After 2 miles go past the crossroad junction at the Plough Inn to the next junction with a lane on the right (GR203519). Turn right up this lane and follow it to the crossroad junction in Llandegla village. Descend through the village to a junction at a church. Bear left then right to go round the left hand side of the church. Follow the lane out of the village to crossroad junction with a brown duck sign (GR182526). Turn right and follow the lane for just over 2 miles to Llanarmon-yn-Ial. Climb the road into the village then at the top go past the church, on the right, to a junction at the far corner of the church yard (GR190561). Straight ahead is the Llanarmon Community Shop, which is good for supplies, and the Raven Inn on the right. Turn left and follow the lane out of the village to where it ends at a T-junction. Turn left and follow the lane past a row of cottages on the left to the next junction shortly after (GR184559).
2. Turn right then climb the dead end lane all the way to the top, where it becomes a wide gravel track (GR168558). Go straight on and descend the double track through a tight right hand bend, then along some fast ruts on a long left hand bend that leads into the trees. Once in the trees go straight on past a track on the right. The track then becomes a lane and goes through a number of bends before finishing at a junction (GR145567). Turn right and follow the lane through a left hand bend to the next junction. Turn right and follow the lane past a farm on the right to the next junction, with a lane on the right signed as a bridleway immediately before a house (GR142573). Turn right and follow the lane to a farm. Go straight on through the farm then climb towards the trees. At the first small junction follow the lane to the left. Go up the steep climb to the next junction, by a house on the right (GR155576).
3. Go straight on and climb the dirt track into the woods. Go through the gate then follow the main track ahead through the trees, ignoring the tracks on either side. At a junction at the top edge of the woods, where the right hand track leads to a house, take the left hand track that leads to a forked junction shortly after. Go through a gate on the right to exit the woods. Climb the track, keeping the trees on the left then go through a left hand hairpin at the house and climb back into the trees. After the trees bear right through a field then follow the track ahead, past some houses, to a junction with the A494 by the Clwyd Gate (GR163581).
4. Turn right and descend the main road a short way then, just after bollards, take the track climbing away on the left (GR166582). At the houses follow the track right and go over the cattle grid then follow the double track as it climbs steadily across the side of the hill. At the junction at the end of the gorse hedge on the left bear left up a short, steep grassy climb to a gate (GR170589). After the gate follow the singletrack into the trees. On the other side of the trees keep going straight ahead through the gates and fields. After a while the grassy trail descends to another gate. Go through the gate then on to a junction in the bottom of a dip. Turn left and climb the steep, grassy track along the edge of the field to a gate at a farm (GR172597).
5. Once through the gate turn right and go through two more gates set close together. Continue climbing, on a gentler incline, along the double track as it follows the drystone wall. At the top the track bears right and flattens off, still following the wall. The track then bears left before coming to a junction with the grassy, rutted double track. Continue straight on and descend to a gate. Go through the gate then after a short distance go through the next gate to a wide hard pack track. Bear right and descend the wide track. Keep descending the track ahead, which soon bears left. Go through the gate about 1/3 of the way down and continue descending ahead on the increasingly rocky trail that ends at a gate and a junction at the bottom (GR179611). After the gate turn left on the lane then follow it through a right hand bend to where it ends at a junction. Turn left and follow the lane to the lower Moel Famau car park on the right (GR172611).
6. Follow the trail out the back of the car park, signed as a cycle route, almost opposite the entrance barrier. Follow it around to the right, past a junction with a footpath on the left, to where it meets a fire track on a bend. Climb straight ahead up the firetrack. Go straight on at the first junction to the second junction, at the crest (GR178616). Turn left up a short climb then go through a left hand bend to a junction a little while after (GR174617). Go straight on at the next junction and follow the trail as it contours around the eastern slope of Moel Famau. Keep to the main trail as it climbs and descends through a number of bends. The fire track eventually finishes on a descent where it turns into a thin rocky track with bushes on either side. This turns left in a dip before climbing to a gate (GR169633).
7. After the gate turn left and climb towards the trees on the steep grassy trail by a drystone wall. Go through the gate at the top then follow the, usually muddy, trail by the trees on the left. The trail starts becoming firmer before climbing to a crossroad junction, with a steep trail on the left leading to the summit of Moel Famau (GR163633). Go straight on along the muddy singletrack through the heather. This track soon bears left up a short, steep climb. After reaching the top descend the singletrack that eventually jinks right through a drystone wall. Continue straight ahead after the wall for some rocky sections a little further on before reaching a muddy and rocky junction. Take the left hand track to go straight on through the patch of mud and rocks to a junction immediately after with a steep grassy climb straight ahead (GR156630).
8. Turn right to follow the track just below the line of the ridge, on the left. The muddy and rocky track gently climbs before flattening off and coming to a junction with a track on the right that is accessed by going over a fallen section of stone wall (GR153630). If you bear left and come to a stile on the ridge you have missed the junction. Turn right and go over the fallen section of wall, past a post with details of the trails concessional status. A short distance later at the next junction immediately after turn left. Follow the singletrack through the heather as it contours right then left around the hill. Go down a short, steep descent to a vague forked junction just after a line of rocks across the trail. Take the right hand track and descend to a junction with a rocky double track (GR146642), if you miss it don’t worry, either direction ends at the same track.
7. Turn right and descend the double track to where it finishes at a lane, by a farm on the right. Follow the lane straight on, then through a dip, before climbing to a crossroad junction (GR165653). Turn left and ride past the farm where the tarmac becomes a rocky double track. Follow the track straight ahead, which after a while goes through a big dip, all the way to a junction with a lane at the other end, under Moel Arthur (GR148659). Turn left and go past the car park in the saddle on the ridge. Go over the cattle grid and descend the lane through a few bends. On the inside of a right hand bend, just before the lane drops steeply downhill, turn right and follow the signposted bridleway through a gate (GR141656).
8. Traverse the hill just underneath Moel Arthur then turn left at the pond and descend to a gate. After the gate take the singletrack on the right to climb across the side of the hill, eventually bearing right to a small field at the top. Bear slightly right over the field and after a short distance pick up the double track descending off to the right to a gate. Go through the gate and descend to a junction. Turn right and descend the double track into the trees to a gate and a junction with a lane (GR136665). Go right and climb the lane back to the top of the ridge. Go left into the car park and left again through the gate at the top of the woods (GR138668). Take the second track from the right and descend through the woods. At the bottom go through a small gate to a junction with the double track. Turn right and climb the double track. Continue climbing this track all the way to the junction at the top of the ridge underneath the transmitter mast (GR121690).
9. Go through the gate on the left for a steep grassy and rocky descent. The track soon bears right then descends through a few bends. It finishes in a dip by a house on the left before climbing a short way to a 3-way bridleway junction (GR113691). Turn left and descend the grassy track that bears right around the hill, going past a couple of tracks on the left. Eventually the track climbs right to some woods. Descend through the woods and go straight on at a junction with a track on the right. The track finishes at a junction with a lane (GR108699). Turn left and descend the lane to a junction at the bottom. Turn right, then turn left at the next junction immediately after. Follow the lane to the end and turn right to a junction with the main road (GR092697).
10. Turn right a follow the main road to a junction with a lane on the left by the Oriel Gallery and Cafe and bus stop in Bodfari (GR097701). Turn left and climb the steep lane that soon bears right and flattens off. At the junction where the lane turns right and descends steeply, go straight on along the dirt track (GR097709). Almost immediately after take the woodland singletrack on the right. At the end of this track bear left on the tarmac to a junction with a lane on the right , a short distance later, by a house on the left on the ridge of the hill (GR096712). Turn right and climb the steep lane and go straight on at the crossroads. Continue climbing steeply for a while before the lane flattens off and undulates to the top of the hill. At the top of the hill the lane turns left then comes to a junction on a tight right hand bend, with a footpath straight on and a gate on the left (GR098723).
11. Go through the gate on the left and descend the grassy track. After the track becomes a lane, by a house on the right, descend to the next junction (GR087719). Turn right and follow the lane, which soon becomes a grassy track, to a gate. Go straight on, past a track on the left, to a junction ahead with two gates. Go through the left hand gate and continue straight on to a gate and left hand bend. Go through the gate and turn left then climb the grassy double track ahead. The track bears right as it climb the hill. After the next gate the track bears left and descends through the gorse bushes to a gated junction with a lane at the top of the hill (GR094731). Go straight on through the gate and follow the lane through a dip to where it ends at a junction. Turn left then almost immediately right and climb the steep lane to a junction at the top (GR091741).
12. Turn left and descend the bridleway into the trees. Just before the second gate take the singletrack on the right through the trees. This short cuts the gated junction just below. On returning to the main track turn right and climb to a junction at the top. Turn left to follow the singletrack that soon descends to a lane and a junction (GR082744). Turn left and descend to a junction with the B5429. Turn right and follow the road underneath the A55 to a junction in Rhewl. Go straight on, past Smithy Arms pub on the right, and follow the lane along the woods, on the right. Eventually the lane comes to a forked junction (GR065768).
13. Take the lane on the right and climb with the woods still on the right. At the next junction go straight on and climb steeply to the junction at the top (GR073774). Turn left, then at the next junction immediately after turn right. At the triangular junction turn right and follow the main road to a junction with a dirt track on the left at a farm (GR082782). Turn left down this track and follow it between the hedges. After going through a left then right hand bend the track becomes a muddy singletrack descent that can be churned up by hooves but it’s usually rideable. The track becomes good again as it enters the trees and descends to a junction at a stream. Go straight over the stream then climb right to a T-junction. Turn left and follow the track to a junction with the A5151 (GR085797).
14. Turn left on the main road then take the next lane on the right signposted to Gwaenysgor. Go straight across the following crossroad and climb into the village. Immediately after a junction with two lanes on the left, in the middle of the village, take the next lane on the right (GR075811). The lane soon turns left up a short steep kick before turning right at the top. Continue straight on when the lane becomes a wide gravel track and head towards the antenna at the woods. At the antenna turn right and descend the double track to a junction in the woods just at the end of a right hand bend (GR087821). Turn right and climb the muddy singletrack. At the top of the hill bear left and descend the track. Continue descending straight ahead as the track widens twice before it comes to a T-junction (GR103822). Turn left and go down the rutted, grassy then rocky track. Although it’s the last descent it’s a good one to finish on. At the bottom go straight on to a junction with the road through Gronant.
15. Turn left and ride through the village to the junction at the other end. Turn right and descend to the junction with the A548 coast road (GR091834). Turn left on the main road then turn right at the next junction immediately after. Go past the cafes and shops on the right, across the bridge over the railway, then turn left to follow National Cycle Route 5 through the golf course. At the far side of the golf course continue straight on along the road into the outskirts of Prestatyn. Take the next road on the right to go past Pontin’s, on the left (GR070835). After Pontin’s follow the road left to ride by the sea wall, on the right. At the far end turn right up the concrete ramp to the car park. Go straight through the car park to reach the sea and the end of the ride (GR061838).